Throughout history, honey has not only served as a source of food for humans, it has also been used in medicine and skincare and provided humanity with numerous benefits beyond recognition. Apart from its sweet delectable delight that heightens one’s taste-bud, it’s very high in beneficial plant compounds and offers several health benefits. Honey is also linked to wound-healing properties and antibacterial action. Honey is particularly healthy when used instead of refined sugar, which is 100% empty calories.
Despite countless uses of honey in our very lives and the numerous benefits it has to offer, here are the six benefits honey provides us;
1. Mosquito Bite Relief: Often cited as the best home remedy for mosquito bites, honey has natural antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Applying a small amount of honey to a mosquito bite can help to reduce inflammation and heal without infection, especially if you’ve been scratching it.
2. Immune Booster: Honey “is an immune system builder with antioxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-tumor properties” that works magnificently on our body to give it the much needed energy, strength and healthier immune system to lead a disease free life in today’s not so healthy environment.
3. Athletic Performance: Honey is the best carbohydrate option for athletes in maintaining glycemic index, metabolic response and effective energy production leading to replenishing muscles, improve liver function and improve endurance exercise capacity thus enhancing performance.
4. Healing Wounds, Ulcers and Burns: Honey has anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, and can be used as a wound dressing to promote rapid and improved healing. These effects are due to honey’s antibacterial action, secondary to its high acidity, osmotic effect, anti-oxidant content and hydrogen peroxide content. The use of honey leads to improved wound healing in acute cases, pain relief in burn patients and decreased inflammatory response.
5. Sore Throats and Coughs: Honey’s antibacterial properties help form a kind of barrier to soothe and protect the throat, acting as a soothing agent for sore throats in alleviating irritation and helps calming cough in the process. It is scientifically proven that honey helps those suffering from an upper respiratory infection.
6. Weight Loss: Honey helps burn fat in our body by speeding up the metabolism process and according to study, it can also help in maintaining blood pressure levels and manage cholesterol, improving our body function.